Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The Sociopaths Survival Guide








"I know right?"

You've heard it, and you've said it, to be honest, so have I, many times, but the question is, how can we make it stop?

It's not like we want to keep saying it, but we can't help it, its just so... easy.

I know, right?

But why? Why do we do it? Why do we keep saying things without thinking about how harmful they are to society. As the great Karen Carpetner said, "why do we keep hurting each other?" And that is what we are doing, by using this expression, we, as a society, are hurting, each other.

I know, right?

But the problem is deeper than the simple use of seemingly innocuous words. Our lack of depth goes beyond axioms and memes and modes of communication.

What should I wear, how should I talk, what can I do to feel more like an actual member of a society that I have no real connection with? I and many others want to know the answers to these very important questions. 

One helpful hint is to try and find genuine common ground, ask questions like. Hey, do you like food? Me too! What kind? That's great! Let's go there and eat that kind of food that we both enjoy. I like mine extra cripsy. Haha, you're funny.

See how easy that was?

I know, right?

Stop. Just stop.

Talking about others helps, but it only medicates. "She's dumb", "he's gay." Funny stuff, but you're sad, aren't you? It's ok, youre not alone.

Sounds serious doesn't it? Millions of people each day suffer from chronic insincerity. As of yet our scientists have not found a cure, but, there is hope. With the help of people like you, we can make a difference.

Social jargon has serious benefits. To the lazy (and pretty much all Americans are lazy) these words and expressions create a cohesion that in effect allows us to think that the world is a place that actually makes sense. Even the use of words like actually give us greater confidence in our belief that what we are saying is actually important.

I know, right?

The funny thing is, we still say "like" a lot. Like, "she was like", or, "she was all." But people don't use "all" as much as we used to. I am sure at some point, "like" will be replaced with "all". We get bored with expressions, but it does take a long time. Unless of course uncool/ old people in a desperate attempt to not sound "wack" begin to overuse an expression. Sometimes the answer we were looking for was right under our noses all along. 



No comments:

Post a Comment